In 1943, a group of Central Missouri
physicians concerned about the lack of hospital facilities for their patients,
met to discuss the possibility of building a hospital. They planned for and raised funds to build Charles E. Still Osteopathic Hospital. The 35-bed hospital at 1125 Madison was dedicated on March 28, 1951. Developing the first hospital-based Home Health Agency in Central Missouri in 1984 and the first state and federally funded Skilled Nursing Facility in 1985 are just a couple examples of Still Hospital’s
continued commitment to providing quality health care to the citizens of
mid-Missouri. By 1990, the name had changed to Still Regional Medical Center
and the facility had grown to a 142-bed hospital with six satellite clinics, an osteopathic
teaching program and more than 700 employees.
In the early 1950's, a group of
citizens of Jefferson City and surrounding communities met and discussed
and need for an additional hospital. As a result of their efforts, nearly 3,000 citizens and organizations donated more than $600,000 and the federal government provided matching funds to build Memorial Community Hospital. The 60-bed hospital at 1432 Southwest Blvd. was dedicated on June 7, 1959. Memorial Community Hospital was the leader in developing many of the community-based health and wellness programs that are common today. In addition, Memorial started the first Cardiac Rehabilitation program in mid-Missouri and in 1979 and was the first hospital in Jefferson City to offer in-house Computer Tomography (CT) scanning services. After
serving the mid-Missouri region as competing not-for-profit health care facilities,
Memorial Community Hospital and Still Regional Medical Center merged to become
Capital Region Medical Center in 1994.
On October 21, 1997, Capital Region
formed an affiliation with the University of Missouri Health System. The affiliation
combines the strengths of an academic medical center with the strengths of
a community-based hospital. The relationship has been positive for
employees, hospital families and the people served.
Today, Capital Region
is a 100-bed facility offering a continuum of care in-house from prenatal
and maternity services to a home health services. It also offers one of the few accredited rehabilitation centers in the state, and advanced cardiac and oncology services. In addition to being a full-service hospital, Capital Region Medical Center operates an extensive clinic system from urgent care centers to specialty physician practices. Throughout
the history of Capital Region Medical Center, the mission has stayed the
same — to improve the health and promote wellness of the people and communities we serve.