Health libraryBack to health library
Bladder cancer: Questions to ask your doctor
Your doctor can help you understand bladder cancer and how it's likely to affect you.
The following questions, suggested by the American Cancer Society, can help you get started talking to your doctor about bladder cancer:
- Exactly what type of bladder cancer do I have?
- Has the cancer spread beyond my bladder?
- What are the stage and grade of my cancer—and what does that mean?
- Do I need other tests or to see other doctors?
- How much experience do you have with this type of cancer?
- What are my treatment choices?
- Which treatments do you suggest and why?
- What are the goals and risks of each treatment?
- What side effects should I expect?
- What should I do to prepare for treatment?
- When will treatment begin and how long will it last?
- What are the chances the cancer will come back after treatment?
- What if the treatment doesn't work?
- What kind of follow-up care will I need?