Health libraryBack to health library
Salmon burgers and sweet potato oven fries
Makes 4 servings.
Sweet potato oven fries
4 large sweet potatoes or yams
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning blend
1 can (14.75 ounces) pink or red salmon
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
8 crackers, unsalted tops (saltinelike), crushed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Egg whites from 2 eggs, whisked
2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole-wheat buns
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
8 leaves Bibb lettuce
- Place oven rack in center, and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes, and slice into wedges, lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, toss potato wedges with canola oil and seasoning blend.
- Spread potato wedges on cookie sheet. Roast in the oven, turning occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare salmon burgers. Drain salmon. Place in a medium mixing bowl, and flake.
- Fold in green onions, red pepper, crushed crackers, lemon juice, egg whites, yogurt and ground black pepper.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Coat large nonstick skillet lightly with cooking spray, and heat.
- Cook salmon burgers until golden brown, turn and continue cooking until other side is golden brown.
- Serve burgers on whole-wheat buns with sliced tomatoes and lettuce and sweet potato oven fries.
Amount per serving: 490 calories, 14g total fat (2g saturated fat), 69g carbohydrates, 25g protein, 11g dietary fiber, 590mg sodium.