Health libraryBack to health library
Heat your home safely
Any device that burns fuel could leak deadly carbon monoxide gas.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises people to have an expert check all fuel-burning devices in their homes each year.
Any device that burns fuel could leak deadly carbon monoxide (CO) gas. Common household sources of CO gas include furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, clothes dryers and space heaters.
Symptoms of poisoning include headache, trouble breathing, fatigue, nausea and dizziness.
To help prevent CO poisoning, the CPSC advises having an expert do a yearly check of all chimneys, flues, vents and fuel-burning devices to look for leaks or poor ventilation.
Consumers can help avoid CO poisoning by never blocking a fuel-burning device's air vents and by installing CO alarms outside the bedrooms in their home.
Finally, never run portable generators inside a home or a garage. Even having doors and windows open will not prevent CO from building up. And never burn charcoal inside a home.