As a non-for-profit community hospital, we offer emergency and other medically necessary services in our hospital free of charge if you are a resident of our nine counties in Missouri and your income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG). Financial need does not consider age, gender, race, social, sexual orientation or religious affiliation. The following is a summary of financial assistance available at Capital Region Medical Center. This summary is not applicable to the Capital Region Physicians Group, which has their own financial assistance policies. Our nine counties include:
Financial Assistance Offered
If you do not have insurance, we provide financial assistance for emergency and other medically necessary care as a discount from our normal charges. This discount is 65% off charges. All applicants will be screened for Medicaid coverage and must cooperate with the Medicaid representatives to be considered for financial assistance. This discount does not disqualify you for financial assistance.
There are some charges not covered under this discount and policy, which include:
- Emergency Room Physicians charges from Team Health.
- Cosmetic Surgery (elective).
- Outside labs (Boyce and Bynum and Quest).
- Radiology and anesthesia professional fees are covered under the Clinic Financial Assistance Policy.
If you are eligible for financial assistance under our policy, you will receive free or discounted assistance according to the following criteria:
- If your annual family income is up to 200% of the FPG, you will receive free care.
- If your annual family income is 201% and higher of the FPG, you will receive care discounted to the amount we generally bill insured patients for such services.
Even if you have insurance, as long as you meet our income criteria, you will be eligible for financial assistance if:
- Your insurance does not provide coverage for medically necessary services you are seeking.
- You have exhausted your lifetime maximum insurance benefits.
- You complete the financial assistance application and provide supporting documentation.
Additional Ways to Qualify
If you do not meet the income criteria above, regardless of your insurance status, you will be considered on a case-by-case basis for financial assistance under the following circumstances:
- Catastrophic Balance - If you have a balance due to Capital Region of greater than 15% of your annual family income, you will be considered for financial assistance.
- Exceptional Circumstances - If you have an extreme personal or financial hardship, you may contact us to be considered for financial assistance.
Charges Will Not Exceed Amounts Generally Billed
If you are uninsured (self pay) under our policy, you will not be charged more for emergency or other medically necessary care than the amount we generally bill patients who have commercial insurance or Medicare coverage. Capital Region utilizes the “look-back” method to determine the “amounts generally billed” (AGB) to individuals who have insurance covering emergency or other medically necessary care. The AGB percentage applicable as of January 1, 2017 is 65% applied to gross charges. The discount will not be given if the facility finds that there are other funds (i.e. lien or lawsuit) pending.
The percentage was calculated using all claims allowed by both private pay insurers (including Medicare Advantage) and Medicare (Traditional) for both inpatient and outpatient services having discharges from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016. Total expected payment from allowed claims was divided by total billed charges for such claims.
How to Obtain Copies of our Policy and Application
You may obtain a copy of our policy and the financial assistance application form free of charge:
- Hospital Financial Assistance Program (Charity).
- Financial Assistance Application Form (en espanol).
- In our admissions areas.
- In our emergency department.
- In any of our patient representatives' offices.
- Call 573.632.5029 for a mailed copy.
How to Apply and Obtain Assistance
You may apply at any point in the scheduling, registration or billing process by completing and submitting an application and providing income information. Any financial assistance application whether completed in person, online, delivered or mailed in will be forwarded to the Patient Account Representative for evaluation and processing. If you think you may have catastrophic, exceptional or special medical circumstances, a patient representative can initiate an application for you.
You must complete a financial assistance application. You will have to be prepared to supply information about your household income and expenses. Documents to provide include (not limited to):
- Checking and savings account statement (last three months).
- Verification of income (last two months).
- Last year income tax return or non-filing letter.
If you need help with applying, please contact our patient financial representatives by visiting them at Capital Region Medical Center or Capital Region Southwest Campus, or call 573.632.5029. These applications are available en espanol and English.
For inpatient services we have a patient advocate on site that can assist you in applying for Medicaid programs, or you can call 573.632.5188 and leave a message, and your call will be returned.
For outpatient services we can give you information on who is eligible and how to apply for Medicaid. Just stop by our Patient Advocate office located in the outpatient entrance, or call 573.632.5131 to make an appointment.
Zero Percent Financing Option
Not all patients are able to pay for their out of pocket medical expenses upon receipt of their billing statement. To help, Capital Region Medical Center is pleased to announce access to a 0% financing option for patients. The Commerce Bank Health Services Financing (HSF) account enables a patient to better spread their payments out over time. Contact our financial representative at 573.632.5029 for more information or if you would like to sign up.
A copy of our Billing and Collection Policy, which describes the actions that CRMC may take in the event of non-payment, is provided for free upon request by calling 573.632.5029.